Part IV: Joy That Defeats Worry: Principle #19: Accept that More Money and Stuff Isn't the Answer
Memory Verse:
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus
--Philippians 4:6-7
JOURNAL
Option 1: Give away something you own that you really like
to someone who would enjoy it or could even use it more
than you do. This will help you get a read on where you are
with putting your joy in your stuff. Journal your thoughts
after the transaction is complete.
Option 2: Lean into the wealth that is more than just stuff
or money. After dinner, if the weather permits, pull some
comfy chairs onto the front porch or driveway. Invite a few
friends or neighbors over, and spend the evening with
them. Bring out your beverage of choice and have extra
available for whoever else stops by. If it is a bit chilly and
you have a portable fire pit, fire it up, or bring out some
blankets for people to wrap up in. Consider putting on
some music, but not too loud so people can talk. Share
your favorite childhood stories, or just stare up into the sky
and listen to the music. If possible, have these people over
for dinner beforehand. Keep it super simple. Throw some
burgers or brats on the grill, order your favorite pizza, or
have everyone bring a dish.
After everyone goes home, journal your thoughts on this
experience.
Pastor Randy truly is saving the best(est) towards the end of this book (study)! Throughout this book, I liked the little nuggets of growth I have not only seen in myself, but with others. My A2 Family is meaning more to me daily. That is worth more to me than everything I have lost in my walk with God.
I remember when I first accepted Christ in 2004, the fear of "giving up" so much that I held dear to me (in 2004---and beyond) scared me. I was more worried about giving up the "pleasures" that made me happy to becoming "a boring Christian". I didn't FULLY accept the love of Christ.
and THAT is how:
I kept up with my foolish ways; I never really gave up anything--and I pretended and acted like how I thought a Christian should act/live.
I found myself for the next 15-18 years going to church, and not going to church, being dedicated, to not being dedicated, giving up vices to re-establishing vices.
I never established a relationship with Christ - I was ill-consumed with religion and our society.
Then during one of those "going to church" moments amidst COVID-19, I came across Westside Family Church Online, I met two individuals (virtually) that never gave up on me--those two people are my mentors and good friends to me to this day.
I no longer WANT to climb the corporate ladder to make more money; I thrive so much more in my A2 Community;
My goal one day is to visit each one of those in my A2 Group as we are spread around the country - we have a nice following here in KC, but I want to travel to Iowa, to New Jersey, to Texas to visit my brothers and sisters (my A2 Group).

Comments
Post a Comment