my family's little ways of reminding me that this journey is worth every little step and even though I may stumble--they love me anyway.
Part III: Joy Despite Your Past: Principle #11: Stay Clear of Legalism
-
Memory Verse:
Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead
--Philippians 3:13
This sermon was ahhh-mazing! If you haven't seen it, it's a must-see!
I was really intrigued to read about this principle: Stay Clear of Legalism, because...well, that is what has kinda kept me from going to church in the first place, I mean up until Westside Family Church found me (ok, I found them, but you know what I mean) :-)
On page 121, Randy states that Legalism, on the other hand, produced guilt and competition. Legalism keeps a scorecard, and the trophy goes to the best performer, the best religious athlete---reading the previous paragraph, Randy talks about Paul being the Theologian of Grace ("chara" / "charis")---I really wonder if this is where we get the word "charity" from?
JOURNAL
The Tetris Effect
Evaluate your life against the seven traits of a legalist
using the following criteria. Put a “1” next to the trait you
think is the hardest for you. Put a “2” next to the one that
is the next hardest for you. Keep going until you get to
the one that least represents you and mark it with the
number 7:
7 Traits of a Legalist
Loves rules more than the person 4
Loves being right more than being kind 6
Looks down on people who are not like them 7
Wants others to clean up before they come in 2
Struggles with the fact that the thief on the cross got in under the wire 3
Loves when the preacher scolds people for things they don’t struggle with personally 5
Teaches human traditions as if they were the Word of God 1
Take some time to journal your thoughts about your
ratings. Start by celebrating your number seven rating.
Why is this not true of you? Thank God for this.
Then go to the one you ranked as number one. Write out
why this one is truer of you than the others. What is the
underlying driver of this attitude?
Take the same list of traits and think through the key
relationships in your life: at home, in your neighborhood,
at school, at church, in your friendship circles.
Do you have any people or groups of people in your life that
struggle with these traits? Do you have any people or
groups of people in your life that don’t struggle with the
traits of a legalist?
Write down your thoughts.
Once you have done this, find some time to share your
thoughts with at least one person who is a grace-giver to
you.
Maybe show them the list and tell them how much joy
they bring you. Then, if you have any person or group of
people who really struggle with these qualities and you find
bring you down, consider how you will apply Paul’s advice
and “stay clear of the legalist.”
We talked about this in our Monday night A2 Group - it's humbling to know that this family (my Christian family) understands my struggles and we support each other. It was good to discuss the 7 traits of Legalists. Knowing that we all struggle with these---each of us were able to provide insight with how each of us handles this. We all agreed - it's the relationship with Christ Jesus that matters most. Accepting Him into our lives is our safe space.
Went to the doctor earlier this week and my doctor was very happy with my progress. Since June of 2010, I have lost 30+ lbs. This makes me very happy! The other great thing is if you can see my little Fitness Pal to the left, yeah it says 15 lbs. down. (since January 2011) I had a 2 lb. loss this week. I'm just on cloud nine right now :-) So this is my dilemma--most of the time, when I hit this point in my weight loss, I start to 'slip up' and I get right back to where I was. How do you keep going on your journey?
Westside Family Church Why Is Jesus The Only Way Pastor Jonathan Hansen (Triish's last Sunday in worship will be Sunday, April 26, 2026.---She is moving to Dallas, TX!) Notes: 1 Peter 3:15 In your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for he hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect When we are dealing with life or death consequences, persuasion becomes an act of love. Eventually the tornados of life and death and suffering, and t ragedy will come our way, and when it does, it will hit like a freight train. And then we start to ask the big questions… What are the apologetics? 1. Why are we here? 2. How did this whole thing happen? 3. What happens after we die? 4. How do I make sense of pain and suffering? 5. What's the purpose of my life? These questions are so important because if we understand the BEGINNING of the story (where we came from) and the END of the story (where we are going)...
Lost 1.3 lbs. for a total of 7 lbs. Just 43 more lbs. to go! My sugar cravings are gone and life is good. Now if I can just get rid of a migraine, I will be one happy girl!! Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.6
Comments
Post a Comment