Part II: Joy Despite People: Principle #6: Get on the Same Page with Your Community
We have a new memory verse(s) this week:
Therefore, if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.
Philippians 2:1-2
I really enjoyed reading the beginning of Part II...because it answered my prayers! (Oh yes it did).
When it comes to matters of every spiritual community, Randy defined a handful of essential things we all embrace:
- Truthfulness: Speak the Truth.
- Promises: Keep our promises.
- Respect: Respect One Another
- Addiction: We do not allow addiction to overtake our lives.
Here's the part I love:
Most everything else is non-essential:
- money management
- food choices
- political views <--YESSS (I can be a Christian and have a different political view)
- exercise routines
- driving styles
- cold oranges or room temperature oranges
- Toilet Paper - Over or under
- Piercings and tattoos (once you are 18)
- Ford, Chevy or neither
- How to raise and discipline children
- Rock and Roll or Classical music
As Christians, we have the liberty to choose our (their) own path and prefences. This is a sign of maturity that very few people reach, because it is hard to up the desire to be right about everything.
The Joy Challenge:
Proactively notice what you like about others more than
what you don’t like. Spot and call out five positive things
for every one negative thing in another person today.
Look for micro-moments of loving behavior in the little
everyday things. When you spot it, let the other person
know. Get it done. Don’t go over the top with your
comments, but make sure to be positive.
At the end of the day, write out your thoughts.
I feel like I pick on my husband a lot, so I went with a co-worker. This co-worker, about 3 years put me through hell---what did she do? She was merely hired to replace me during a health emergency. I took so much out of her, but most of all, I really dislike the way she talked to me. I ended up resigning because of this outburst.
There are 5 things that I admire about her:
There are 5 things that I admire about her:
- her willingness to pick up where I left off and roll with it.
- after my resignation, she became more understanding of people
- she doesn't give up
- I really like her sense of humor (yes, 3 years later, we have become good co-workers)
- She is able to look past my past and we help each other succeed in our respective areas of expertise.

Comments
Post a Comment