Part I: Joy Despite Your Circumstances: Principle #4: Embrace Your No-Lose Situation
The Memory Verse for this Week is:
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
Phillipians 1:21
This is where our memory verse comes in---For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Paul continues in Philippians: If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me.
He desires to department and be with Christ, which is better by far, but it isi more necessary for "us" I remain in the body (the philippians).
Oh to live a life that all you want to do is wanting to please Jesus! Paul knew, either way, Nero cut his head or he lived and was able to return to Philippi, it totally didn't matter - he would WIN!
Paul links joy with the Christian Hope! We must embrace our challenges.
What creates the most fear in you today? (It could be death but also a host of other things, such as financial insecurity, being alone, being in crowds, performing, illness, and so on.) On a scale of 1 to 10, how fearful are you today? (1–not much, 10–extremely).
Explain your answer.
I don't have a ton of fear - but one thing that does bring anxiety is the fear of losing my job. I am pretty secure in my skills. It's always in the back of my mind---am I good enough? There is such thing as age discrimination--am I too old to find another job?
Toda, I believe I'm at a 1---only because it is a 3-day weekend (Memorial Day 2024)
How likely is what you fear going to happen today or in the near future?
I think it will always be with me every day I work, however. I no longer define myself with what I do for a living, so if I was to lose my job, I'm confident our Father will take care of things.
What if it were going to happen sooner than later? What is the worst that would happen? (Write this as though a friend is saying this to you.)
If it were to happen now, I'm afraid that my daughter may not be able graduate from her college.
On a scale of 1 to 10, how firmly do you embrace Paul’s attitude, “for to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain”:
(1–not at all; 10–all-in)? What would it take for you to move closer to “all in” on that scale?
I'd like to think I'm at a 7. I live in a free country and can't imagine going through what some Christ followers go through. I want to be at a 10 one day.
Share your answers today with at least one other person. When we embrace our no-lose situation like Paul did, we can say with joy-filled confidence, “for to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21).

Comments
Post a Comment