Part I: Joy Despite Your Circumstances: Principle #3: See the Glass as Half Full

 The Memory Verse for this Week is: 

For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Phillipians 1:21

Ok, now I like where this is going!  Paul is in prison and he has tremendous joy!  Like fo real!  He's in "chains for Christ", he is furthering the gospel.

Pastor Randy states we are naturally focued on ourselves--Paul was focused on the mission--he didn't find joy in HIS circumstances, but rather seeing people find hope in Jesus!

In today's reading, it was stated (Acts 9:15-16):

...when Paul first became a follower of Jesus on the road to Damascus, he was told by the Lord through a man named Ananias that he would suffer and speak in front of kings.  Paul was happy - that day had come.

On his long journey to Rome, Governor Felix regularly sent for Paul from his prison cell to converse with him---this forced the court officials to study the doctrines and claims of the Christian faith. 

He was now waiting to share his message with Nero, the mighty emperor of Rome.

I really took to the New Testament scholar F.F. Bruce:

What matters is the content of the preaching, not the identity of the preacher.

I also identified with Pollyanna - always positive!


Today's Challenge: Look for three opportunities today to practice the principle "But what does it Matter"?

What does it matter that I have bad days at work.

What does it matter that I will never be a small person (short, not skinny) - God loves me just the way I am - as I am made in his image.

What does it matter that my circle of friends is more like a triangle?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please can I keep this going?

2026.04.19 Sermon Notes: Why Is Jesus The Only Way?

Doing the Happy Dance!