ROOTED WEEK 3: How Does God Speak to Us?

 

ROOTED: Connecting with God, The Church, Your Purpose

Weekly Memory Verse:

Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert, and always keep on praying for all of the Lord's people.

Ephesians 6:17-18

Day 1: God Speaks

  • Does any of what you've read today surprise you? Why?
  • Do you feel like God speaks to people as clearly today as He did in biblical times?
  • How has God spoken to you?
  • What might keep you from really wanting to hear what God wants to say to you?
  • Write a prayer asking God to speak to you, then sit quietly and listen. Write down anything that comes to mind.
Day 2: The Sword of the Spirit
  • What is the biggest challenge you face reading or studying God's Word?
  • How about believing or following God's Word?
  • Write a prayer expressing the thoughts God has given you about the Bible.
Day 3: Our Divine Helper
  • What was your understanding of and relationship with the Holy Spirit up to this point?
  • What is it now?
  • How can you keep in step with the Holy Spirit?
  • In light of today's reading, where do you want to invite the Holy Spirit to be present in your life?
Day 4: The Purpose of Prayer
  • What thoughts or new ideas do you have about prayer?

    One new thought for sure (and I have struggled with this for awhile): knowing I don't even have to talk out loud because "God is omniscient, or all knowing . He knows our thoughts.

  • What is more challenging for you: speaking to God or to listening to God? Why?

    Probably listening to (for) God.  I honestly couldn't say if I've heard Him or not?

  • Spend three to four minutes writing a prayer to God about something that is on your mind (a problem, concern, need).  

    Hi Father, here I am on a Friday night wondering what and if I will get back to my normal self--then again, what is normal, lol.  Father, I've been so busy with both jobs, even though, it's fun work, I enjoy them...it's taking away from You--are you OK with that?

    I had to start typing my prayers out (and answering the questions) because I just can't write anymore.  I'm afraid my hands will start to get gnarly like my sweet grandma Norma and oddly, I'm OK with it---I think,

    Ok, back to prayer (my mind always wonders...).  Father, there are a lot of people that don't know You.  I ask that You reveal to me how I can nudge them or plant the seed.  If the people I think of are not the people I need to focus on right now, please let me know.  Guide me in who I can talk to that might be receptive.

    As always, I know You work things out for my good and Your GLORY.
       In Your Heavenly Name,

       Amen.
  • Then spend three to four minutes asking God if there is anything He wants to say to you.

    Write down whatever you hear Him say.
        Gosh, I'm so distracted this evening. I can't even sit for 3 or 4 minutes to listen to God.  
        I'll try again later, at bed-time, maybe tomorrow.  Wow, I'm sorry, Father. :-(

Day 5: Connecting with God in a Meaningful Way
  • What excites you and what seems daunting as you think about establishing a regular time to read the Bible and pray?
  • What book of the Bible do you want to read/study first?
  • Write our your prayer today using the P-R-A-Y method. Make sure you give enough time at the end to sit quietly and listen to God

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Please can I keep this going?

2026.04.19 Sermon Notes: Why Is Jesus The Only Way?

Doing the Happy Dance!