2026.07.19 Sermon Notes: Wholehearted
Westside Family Church
Summer on the Mount
⚽World Cup Finals👟🥅 (Argentina vs. Spain)⚽
Week 2: Wholehearted
Pastor: Jonathan Hansen
Notes:
You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet. You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 5:13–20
Jesus didn't come to make bad people behave better. He came to bring the dead back to life, and make broken, divided people whole.
Kingdom people have a different identity. Kingdom people have a different righteousness. Kingdom people have a different Father.
Notes:
1. Kingdom people have a Different Identity, Matthew 5:13–16. "You are the salt of the earth...You are the light of the world."
Identity before activity. Being before doing.
Religion says clean up your act, activity first.
The gospel reverses the order.
Salt - go where it's needed,
When you are poor in spirit, Salt makes it better; you don't try to exclude, how can I help here, move toward it for healing. God moved towards me when I was sinful. Move towards others.
Salt preserves things
Salt enhances things.
Do you bring out the best in the people?
Do you bring value and blessing in your workplace, in your school
Do you bring encourage people around you?
Are you a blessing to the people around us?
Chick-Fil-A - hospitality - Ritz Carlton - Treating customers like THEY MATTER.
A good heart, a good culture produces good fruit!
We produce more of "who we actually are".
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands…so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders.
1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
Leave a quiet life.
We are called to be ATTRACTED and ATTRACTIVE to the world around us. (move toward broken people, be who YOU are---in Christ.)
Notes:
What is underneath the surface of your life?
2. Kingdom people have a Different Righteousness, Matthew 17–20.
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
Matthew 5:17-18
Religion is mankind building a ladder toward heaven. THE GOSPEL is heaven climbing down the ladder to us.
The difference was never what they were doing. The difference was always where it was coming from. Jesus isn't asking for more righteousness. He's offering a different source of righteousness.
Being salt isn't a command. Being light isn't a command. Having a greater righteousness isn't one more item on your list. They're all descriptions of what happens when Jesus gives someone a new heart.
Notes:
3. Kingdom People have a Different Father. "...that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven."
Religion says: (You have to earn it) perform for acceptance. The Gospel says: (This is who you are) live from acceptance.Identity before activity. Sons before servants. Religion says if I fail, I lose my standing. The gospel says: when I fail, I run home to the Father.
Not "what should I do?" but "who am I becoming?"Not "am I keeping enough rules?" but "is my life becoming whole?" Not “do I see God as my boss?” but “am I living like He’s my father in a relationship that depends on His performance not mine?”
Notes:
Comments
Post a Comment